Estate Planning Services Tailored To Meet Your Needs

Can a child custody order from another state be modified in North Carolina?

Only in very limited circumstances. Under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), the state issuing the order for child custody maintains exclusive jurisdiction over that order unless certain conditions are met. If North Carolina acquires jurisdiction, then North Carolina courts can modify the other state’s custody order and apply North Carolina law. This still requires the parent asking for the modification to meet the standard for modifying a North Carolina custody order.

Call the Law Office of John P. Fernandez if you have questions or need legal representation in a family law matter. John Fernandez is licensed to practice law in North Carolina. The laws of North Carolina may differ from other states and no information contained herein should be considered legal advice.

About John Fernandez

John P. Fernandez | Child Custody and Divorce Lawyer | Raleigh, NCAttorney John Fernandez works with North Carolina individuals and families who need advice or representation in estate planning and administration matters. John provides an in-depth analysis of each client’s needs and works toward reducing estate taxes, avoiding probate and ensuring that health care decisions are handled appropriately. John helps individuals with modest and large estates achieve their goals.


John P. Fernandez
Attorney at Law
9555 US Highway 15-501 North
Chapel Hill, NC 27517
(919) 601-5028

Estate Planning Services Tailored To Meet Your Needs

Copyright © 2018 John Fernandez Law. All rights reserved.   Disclaimers